[time-nuts] any HP 5370B Available or other TIC

Tijd Dingen tijddingen at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 18 22:28:03 UTC 2011

Hi Javier,

> My main interest is a TIC with better resolution than a 5370 and also with higher data flow, or with the capabilities to do some post-processing of a bunch of data.

That sounds highly similar to the plan over here.

> I was at first thinking on an interpolator based TIC similar to the PICTIC idea (the ADC in the board seems handy for that)

Generally speaking, any ADC approach that uses /affordable/ ADC's (read: no GHz sampling rates) will result in lower number of timestamps per second than with the TDC in fpga approach.

So if you only have to timestamp at a moderate rate, then the adc could very well suit your needs. If you want to do continuous timestamping at a high rate then the adc approach doesn't cut it. Or if it can, I'd be interested in some good reading material about that...

Besides with the fpga approach it is solve problem once, instantiate many times == multi-channel TDC for a nice price.

regards,
Fred