[time-nuts] Heated crystal? & Rb tube corrosion (FE-5680A)

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Thu Dec 1 10:36:47 UTC 2011

On Thu, 1 Dec 2011 05:19:24 -0500
"Steve ." <iteration69 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Looking at those pictures with a different mind set, I see now that the
> washers are not corroded as I had suspected.  It's amazing how they
> resemble badly corroded washers which are so typically found in ovens in
> which alkalines have leaked.

If you mean "alkaline batteries leaking" with "alkalines leaking",
then the corrosion you see there is from something else than
alkali metals. In alkaline batteries you have a potpury of different
highly reactive stuff. What exactly corrodes what and how is something
i cannot tell you, but it's definitly not elemental alkalimetals like
you have in Rb cells.

			Attila Kinali

--
Why does it take years to find the answers to
the questions one should have asked long ago?