[time-nuts] "The GPS navigation is the weakest point,"

Charles P. Steinmetz charles_steinmetz at lavabit.com
Thu Dec 15 22:17:33 UTC 2011

John wrote:

>Iran hijacked US drone, claims Iranian engineer  Tells Christian Science
>Monitor that CIA's spy aircraft was 'spoofed' into landing in enemy
>territory instead of its home base in Afghanistan
>Iran guided the CIA's "lost" stealth drone to an intact landing inside
>hostile territory by exploiting a navigational weakness long-known to the
>US military, according to an Iranian engineer now working on the captured
>drone's systems inside Iran.

-- snip --

If the report in the article is true, we deserve to lose drones to
countries like Iran for not having the sense to install an inertial
guidance system to back up and "reality check" the GPS.  (Omitting
IGS would be such a major gaffe that it calls into question the
veracity of the Iranian claims.  Were we really that stupid, or that cheap?)

Best regards,

Charles