[time-nuts] Distance between GPS Antennae

Brent Gordon time-nuts at adobe-labs.com
Mon Dec 19 00:54:49 UTC 2011

   Tom,
   Yes, this is the same board that you played with.  The only difference
   is that the code on the GPS chip is NBCAA-1110 instead of CNAA1038.  I
   did not save any NMEA logs, just the VisualGPS diagrams.  When I
   collected the data I had just received the Sure GPS unit and wasn't
   doing any serious testing of it.  When this topic came up, I thought
   "Hey!  I've got some cool data that shows interference."
   Both boards were in their power-on default mode.  As you know, the Sure
   GPS defaults to factory settings after it has been powered down for a
   while.  From the documentation links on your web page, there doesn't
   seem to be a position hold mode for this GPS.
   A quick test shows that the first 20-30 points wander around before the
   unit locks the position.  Maybe K4CLE's comment "Some GPS receivers
   automatically go into "position hold" mode if less than 1 mph is
   detected for several seconds." applies to this board.
   I will be [DEL: playing with :DEL] testing these units over the next
   two weeks and see what I can learn.  I've got two patch antennas, two
   timing antennas, and a powered splitter.  I also have a couple of
   Thunderbolts.  However, because I have a metal roof, the Thunderbolts
   lock on to fewer than five satellites at a time.  The Sure and
   Copernicus both lock on to twelve.
   How did you measure the PPS jitter on your unit?  I'd like to do a
   similar measurement on mine.
   Brent