[time-nuts] FE-5680A at WA7KGX

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R caf at omen.com
Wed Dec 21 21:27:36 UTC 2011

I removed the oscillator from the circuit board using an Allen wrench
on the other side of the board.  Somewhat easier than unscrewing the
obvious way, especially with a worn tool.

I removed the lid and lifted the plastic sheet.  I did not see anything
alarming.

It is now mounted on the outside of the chassis that holds my Thunderbolt
and its switching power supply.  An AC adapter from an old Toshiba laptop
provides the 15 volts.  5 volts is shared with the Thunderbolt, which draws
very little from 5 volts.  A big fat line filter keeps the RFI inside.

I have powered up the 5680A several times.  The first time took about 30
minutes to lock.  Subsequent times took the usual several minutes to lock.

As I write this the 5680 has stayed within about 50 degrees of phase lock
with the Thunderbolt's 10 MHz output for 316 minutes and counting.
Not bad for $40.00.

Still no idea why the 5 volt draw is 340 ma instead of 90 ma.  The 15
volt draw
is normal.

--
Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R     caf at omen.com   www.omen.com