[time-nuts] Using Thunderbolt to Discipline FE 5680A?

WarrenS warrensjmail-one at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 22 19:44:56 UTC 2011

Fred

What you may of seen was how to use a TBolt to discipline a LPRO Rb.
There are several time nut posting on how to do that in a very simple and
high performance way.
http://www.febo.com/pipermail/time-nuts/2011-May/056526.html
http://www.ko4bb.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=precision_timing:lpro_disciplining_with_thunderbolt

You should be able to do something similar using the FE-5680A.
The basic way I've done it is to:
Modify a Thunderbolt (preferable one with a poor Osc) to use the LPRO's 10
MHz as it's ref osc, and bring out the Tbolt's Dac thru a 1K ohm.
http://www.ke5fx.com/tbolt.htm

For the LPRO, I added a 12K 1% resistor to the high side of its "C" field
winding, making a low sensitivity EFC input, and connected that to the
Tbolt's 1K Dac out resistor.
Then by using an 'Extended' Time constant and damping factor setting on the
Tbolt, you can set the control loop to anything you want up to many days.
Depending how good the Rb's temp-co is and how much you allow it's
uncompensated temperature to change,
I found that an extended Time constants from 5K sec to 24 hrs worked best
for the LPRO.

ws