[time-nuts] phase lock

Mark C. Stephens marks at non-stop.com.au
Sat Dec 24 09:50:29 UTC 2011

Ah I have a pair of HP counters on my bench, one 5335 with known good performance and calibration and a 5370 with rather dubious performance history.. I have figured out how to do phase with the 5335 but the 5370 is still a bit of a mystery. The main problem seems to be finding and reserving a clear space on the workbench!

So I had a quick Google search and came up with a no nonsense example by Mr. W.J. Riley using something called a pictic and one of your 1992 counters.  After reading that particular article have an idea of how to do it and the actual difficulties involved in getting precision measurement of pulse phase. It looks like months of interesting activity ;)

And I just realised you are the Chuck 'zmodem' Forsberg of Omen Tech. Our paths cross again, later after the BBS years. From 300 Baud to 57600 your zmodem was everything for me! I even used it as a terminal program! Good to see you are well, Chuck.

Many thanks,
Mark