[time-nuts] Thunderbolt? (re simple gpsdo.)

Azelio Boriani azelio.boriani at screen.it
Fri Dec 30 17:40:48 UTC 2011

Yes, it can be done based on a PPS only timing. You must design a PI (maybe
PID) regulator: the EFC must stay steady when the phase difference between
the two PPSes is zero (integral action). Then you must move the EFC (when
there is a difference) proportionally with the difference itself and only a
small part of the difference drives the integrator to increment/decrement
the new steady EFC level. When the difference is again zero the proportinal
part is gone and remains the small amount of correction for the integral
part. There is a gain for the integral action (samll) and a gain for the
porportional action (should be large, but to be evaluated).