[time-nuts] Thunderbolt? (re simple gpsdo.)

Stanley timenuts at n4iqt.com
Fri Dec 30 21:24:15 UTC 2011

The DAC and it's voltage reference looks to be the weak link in the digital
control and the "simple" goal. The CPU I mentioned before on closer look
doesn't have a good DAC. The 20 bit TI DAC1220 looks better but not sure you
can find it in the same package as the CPU. The cheap Rb standards with
digital control would not need a DAC and maybe this points to a simpler
GPSDO that doesn't control the XO with analog but corrects it with a DDS but
again finding them both in one chip is the problem. I have seen OCXO and DAC
in the same package and even the DDS and OCXO combined but they didn't fit
the simple goal. Not even sure how good they were. I know they are hard to
find.

Stanley