[time-nuts] 10MHz to 80MHz frequency multiplier suggestions

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Tue Feb 1 11:16:11 UTC 2011

Whilst the close in phase noise of the ADC used in the TSC5115 may be
comparable with that of a 74AC04 the phase noise floor of such ADCs is
degraded when clocked by a 74AC04:

http://www.analog.com/static/imported-files/seminars_webcasts/High%20Speed%20System%20Applications%20%28PDF%29/HS%20Systems%20Part%202%20for%20Print_A.pdf

http://www.analog.com/static/imported-files/application_notes/5847948184484445938457260443675626756108420567021238941550065879349464383423509029308534504114752208671024345AN_756_0.pdf

http://www.analog.com/static/imported-files/application_notes/57206466474685142207552745732150239440755569051663372515871138132239AN_835_0.pdf

http://www.analog.com/static/imported-files/application_notes/59756494064912342505447175991257024546937062255921511183854180687755AN501_a.pdf

In particular such ADCs have been be used to measure the jitter of
various logic families by using devices from the logic family to drive
the ADC clcok /encode inputs and comparing the increased noise floor
with that when the ADC clock/encode inputs are driven with a bandpass
filtered low phase noise sine wave.

Bruce