[time-nuts] Lightsquared and a little math

Mike S mikes at flatsurface.com
Thu Feb 3 00:36:32 UTC 2011

At 01:45 PM 2/2/2011, Chris Albertson wrote...
>On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 10:36 AM, Stanley Reynolds
><stanley_reynolds at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > The web site reads like the sat will distribute the internet signal
> direct to the clients:
>
>People will hate this service.  Going up to geo-sync adds a noticeable
>and annoying lag do unavoidable speed of light round trip time of
>flight.

Latency will only be an issue where service would otherwise be
unavailable. Satellite latency is better than no connection at all. The
bulk of their coverage is with terrestrial stations, but they also have
a satellite to fill the gaps:

"The nationwide LightSquared network, consisting of approximately
40,000 cellular base stations, will cover 92 percent of the U.S.
population by 2015...LightSquared is using terrestrial and satellite
technology to ensure constant connectivity, regardless of location. The
LightSquared satellite, built by Boeing, was launched into
geostationary orbit over North America in November 2010."

Does anyone know the timing synchronization requirements for LTE? This
network may offer a supplement to current GPS/CDMA based time
solutions. (says I, trying to get this thread back to time-nuts)