[time-nuts] From GPS World - Lightsquared has been given the goahead

Robert Atkinson robert8rpi at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Feb 3 17:54:28 UTC 2011

Hi,
First I'm in the UK so this does not directly affect me. I do have some slightly independent comments.
Firstly the Garmin tests seemed very reasonable and erred to favor LightSquared. They were free field in an anecohic chamber. There was an L1 notch filter in the output of the LightSquared simulator. I'd guess the Aviation GPS was worse because of A and older design and B It will only give valid outputs if it is sure the signal is OK.
On the politcal side, LightSquared are supposed to be supplying nationwide satellite service. The ground stations are "fill in" for heavy use areas. This is seamless with the sat service so they "had" to be the same band. So they got permission to use the band. What is the betting that once the service is established they will drop or price hike the sat service? That would save them the $115,000,000 per year that they are paying Intelsat.

Robert G8RPI.