[time-nuts] GPS Antenna splitters

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sat Feb 5 01:49:40 UTC 2011

> Has anyone measured the gain (or loss) of the Minicircuits ZAPD-3DB-1575-3
> GPS antenna splitter?  I've seen a number on the auction site, and am
> wondering if they have any gain.  I see the 3DB in the model number, but
> don't know if it's gain or loss. I have a TBolt and an HP Z3801A.  I can
> use the antenna with only one  receiver at a time, but would like to run
> them concurrently.    Since I'm  using a 25db gain bullet antenna, I
> certainly don't want to lose any signal.  If the ZAPD-3DB-1575-3 splitter
> doesn't provide any gain internally, which  model splitter(s) can you
> recommend?

If the data sheet doesn't say anything about the power supply requirements,
I'd assume it is a simple splitter with no amplifier which would match 3 DB.

The HP 2-way and 4-way GPS splitter is often available on ebay.  I forget the
model numbers, but it's pretty obvious.  There are only a few of them.  They
take power from the coax.