[time-nuts] Thunderbolt behaviour with long time constants.

ws at Yahoo warrensjmail-one at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 10 04:44:35 UTC 2011

The couple decades comment ONLY applies at your fastest tau.

You'll should be able to get good results with the tester two to one better
than the DUT.
At your Minimum tau which was 0.25 sec, your Noise floor measurements of the
5370b would suggest it is about 1x10-10.
A good TBolt will do near 1x10-12 there, which is where the two decade
comment came from.
If you only care about noise of  >2e-12 at tau's  >25 seconds, No problem.

BTW setting a typical Tbolt's TC up above around 500 will increase its noise
at mid taus, unless everything is in a very controlled situation.

ws
*********************************
Thanks for the comments.    I did a quick check of the noise floor of the
5370b while feeding the 10 mhz output of the tbolt to the start and stop
inputs of the 5370b with a t connector. At a tau of 10 (approx 2.5 seconds)
the Allan deviation is 1x10-11, at a tau of 100 (approx 25 seconds) it is 1
x 10-12.   Optimizing the trigger settings might lower this some what but I
used the same settings as before.   I was not aware you need an instrument
with a noise floor a couple of decades below the signals you are trying to
measure.
Sent from my iPad

On 2011-02-09, at 9:19 AM, "WarrenS" <warrensjmail-one at yahoo.com> wrote