Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Fri Feb 11 02:38:11 UTC 2011

richard at karlquist.com said:
> I don't see why changing the operating voltage of the fan would make
> bearings last longer, move more air, or make less noise, unless it allows
> the fan to run at a different RPM.  Even then, more air and less noise would
> seem to be mutually exclusive.

Somewhere in the past 10-20 years, people started paying much more attention
to how much noise fans make.  For a given amount of air, most modern fans are
a lot quieter than old ones.

I think one big step is to keep the support bars away from the fan blades and/or make them smaller.  There are probably some important details about the fan blade shape that I don't understand.