[time-nuts] Thunderbolt Supply

Mark J. Blair nf6x at nf6x.net
Sun Feb 13 03:16:56 UTC 2011

On Feb 10, 2011, at 3:16 PM, Larry McDavid wrote:
> I'm seeking a recommendation for a power supply for this Thunderbolt receiver.

I use an HP 6236B that I bought inexpensively on eBay, after reading about others having good results with that combination. I had to repair it (it had one or two bad caps), but it was still inexpensive after the cost of the components. The TBolt draws more than the supply's rated current on the +12V output during cold start, but neither the TBolt nor the power supply seem to mind, and the operating current settles down into the supply's normal operating range after a few minutes of warm-up.

I have the TBolt bolted right on top of the supply (over the coolest corner). This is far from ideal, but the supply's ventilation holes are conveniently spaced to line up with the T-Bolt's mounting holes. I'll improve my setup eventually, when I feel a surge of time-nuttiness coming on. :) Even in its current configuration, it far exceeds my needs for a frequency reference.

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <nf6x at nf6x.net>
Web page: http://www.nf6x.net/