[time-nuts] Tool Needed to Access my Timer Battery

Chuck Harris cfharris at erols.com
Tue Feb 15 21:12:22 UTC 2011

Rolex...  that makes an easy job hard.

Rolex typically uses a very strange formed wrench to screw off the
back.... right hand thread, by the way...  where every other high
quality watch uses a simple case spanner wrench with 6 tangs, Rolex
Oyster's have 6 wiggly shaped forms that they repeat to make the border
around the watch back.  This is done mostly to disguise the fact that
the back comes off.  The down side is if you use anything but the real
Rolex case wrench, you will be virtually assured of scarring the back...
And Rolex won't sell tools, or parts, to anyone that hasn't gone to,
and passed Rolex's factory school.

I have a Vigor No. 6 case back wrench that has a set of tips that supposedly
will open Rolex Oyster cases, but I would never risk it on such an expensive
watch.  It doesn't provide the level of engagement that the real Rolex wrench
does, and I am afraid it would slip.

There is, however, a workaround that frequently does the trick.  Oftentimes,
you can remove the back by using friction.  With a chunk of Rodico (a kneed-able
eraser like material), stuck to the back, and pressing hard and twisting, you
can usually get the back off... others use a new rubber crutch tip.

As to the O-rings, as long as they were properly lubricated, they can be
reused a dozen or more times without a problem... However, without doing
a leak test, you are relying on your luck.

If you go to Rolex to get the job done, they will make sure that you pay
for the effects of the sluggish economy on their bottom line.

Or, you could sell your watch on ebay, and buy several dozen timex watches.

-Chuck Harris