[time-nuts] Garmin 18x, new firmware Ver 3.60, NOT recommended for Time Nuts!

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Feb 17 07:38:28 UTC 2011

> Hello fellow Garmin 18x users,
[]
> I noticed today that Garmin have a new 18x firmware version,  release
> date =
>
>                 GPS 18x PC/LVC Ver. 3.60 as of Jan 04, 2011
>                 ( "Fixed factory firmware flash capabilities." )
[]
> It is very odd, clearly Garmin are adding more "stuff" for their code
> to do, but forgetting that some of us, actually like to know the
> correct time !
>
> After the above test, I reloaded my Garmin 18x with version 3.20 (
> circa Aug 2009 ) and it is again working perfectly - ALL RMC NMEA
> sentences finishing well within the current second.
>
> Regards, Geoff (Christchurch, New Zealand).

Geoff,

Thanks for that.  I also noticed this from a posting on the NTP newsgroup,
but I had not seen it from the Garmin RSS feed.  I have still have no
reply other than an acknowledgement from Garmin UK on this matter.

Have you heard anything from Garmin?  I take it you have reported the
issue.

Cheers,
David
Web:  http://www.satsignal.eu