[time-nuts] Tool Needed to Access my Timer Battery

shalimr9 at gmail.com shalimr9 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 14:05:23 UTC 2011

A while ago, I took a pair of watches (a Bulova and a Seiko) that needed new batteries to a fancy jewelry store here in town (VanDeGriff) because I thought they would do a good job.

The Bulova took 6 weeks... (They apparently did not service anything locally and had to sent it out). They said they had to replace the movement, which I did not know needed replacement. I asked them to return the bad movement with the watch, but I never got it. They broke the crystal on the Seiko and replaced it with a different one, which I made them replace again (good thing that I took very sharp digital pictures of the watches before I turned them over to the store).

They did not charge me for the crystal on the Seiko (they broke it), but that one took 3 months and cost $25 ($10 for the battery and $15 for shipping both ways to the repair shop). I paid well over $100 for the Bulova.

Since then, I bought a set of tools to safely open the back of most of my watches. For those I do not want to do myself, I take them to a small shop in the local mall that replaces the battery while you wait and you can see the guy while he does it. I have not had problem with him whatsoever, and he charges $7. He does not do pressure checks.

I have returned watches directly to Seiko in the US (Coserv) for movement or crystal replacement. A new movement costs about $90 and a crystal costs about $15. They do a good job (as far as doing what you ask them to do), but they apparently do not routinely replace the o-ring or do pressure check because the watches I got back from them all took moisture... Next time I send one, I will specifically ask for new o-rings and pressure check.

I have also returned a Citizen to Citizen US because the number 12 had come unglued from the face. They also did an excellent job for little money.

YMMV

Didier KO4BB