[time-nuts] PN sequence generation using GPS

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Thu Feb 17 22:46:10 UTC 2011

lists at rtty.us said:
> The key item here is that the system is going to work via amateur radio here
> in the US. The FCC only lets you use three very specific PN sequences. The
> three are called out explicitly in the rules. The requirement that they not
> be reset while transmitting except by feedback is also called out explicitly
> in the rules. So no fancy stuff with multiple spreaders and the like.

Thanks, but I'm having trouble understanding that.

The problem is "not be reset while transmitting except by feedback".  I
usually use reset to mean set the system to a specific state no matter what
the current state.

I think they are trying to say you can't use something like a PPS signal to
reset the LFSR.  If so, I would have said something like "can't be reset.
The next state can only be influnced by feedback."  (Which also rules out the
self-synchronizer type approaches which use the data bit rather than the LFSR
output.)

Are there any constraints on picking the initial state?  (There has to be
some time when the transmitter starts.)  Can I send packets?  Can I start
each packet on a second boundary (and not reset if it goes over 1 second)?

What do you call a clump of voice when something like a PTT is used?

> There's a much easier way to do it and keep everybody in sync. GPS gives you
> time of day along with the 1 pps signal. You agree that at this or that
> time, everybody starts in sync. It's just time math to figure out where you
> should be at any 1 pps point. If you aren't where you are supposed to be,
> you take action.

That makes sense to me.

I think you have to figure out what to do if the transmission crosses
midnight.  You can shut down and start over, or just keep going.  In the
latter case, you have to agree (out of band) which day you started in, but
that only matters if you start near midnight.