[time-nuts] (OT) HP 16500B / 16500L - reprogramming MAC address

Philip Pemberton lists at philpem.me.uk
Fri Feb 18 20:58:07 UTC 2011

Hi guys,

Apologies for the off-topic-ness of this message, but I seem to recall
there are a few HP 16500B users hanging out here who don't follow the
hp_agilent_equipment group on Yahoo...

My 16500B has developed a fault. Earlier today, I booted it up and got a
load of random garbage on the screen. Rebooted, same again. Turns out
one of the RAM modules had come out of its socket slightly. I reseated
it, powered up and got this error message on boot:

Corrupted LAN Board! LAN Not Functional!

SYSTEM can see the LAN board (I have an Ethernet option on the desktop),
but if I go into Advanced Settings, the analyser locks hard. PVTEST
doesn't even see the Ethernet card. The analyser appears to have cleared
the MAC address to zero, though, which is nice....

 From what I can gather, the (soldered down) 28C16 EEPROM on the 16500L
LAN card has either been wiped by an errant write, or has 'forgotten'
its contents.

Does anyone have a dump of the contents of this chip from a working
16500L card?

Failing that, does anyone know of a way to reprogram the MAC address
into the chip? Some secret key-combination, or other trick?

Thanks,
--
Phil.
lists at philpem.me.uk