[time-nuts] Rom Expansion for HP5370B

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Sat Feb 19 14:50:32 UTC 2011

I'm having fun with my python disassembler (github: bsdphk/PyRevEng)
and a HP5370B image.

One of the things I have just discovered, is that the firmware has
support for an expansion ROM.

If you look at page 8-53 in the manual, it lists

	"Err 3 Undefined Routine. For possible future use."

The code in question looks for a ROM at 0x4003 and gives Error 3,
if it is not there.

The current ROM space is from 0x6000-0x7fff, so there is at
least space for a doubling of the code in the HP5370B.

And there is an empty slot.

Imagine a board with EPROM + ARM chip w/USB interface...

HP5370B with built in allan-variance calculation, anyone ?

No, I don't have the time, but if I had...