[time-nuts] Rom Expansion for HP5370B

Javier Herrero jherrero at hvsistemas.es
Mon Feb 21 17:40:59 UTC 2011

That is true, the SAM7X... are very nice. I currently use them a lot
(mainly for its CAN bus). The bad thing is that they have Ethernet but
no phy, so an external phy must be used. In that respect, for an
application using Ethernet I would use a Luminary, that has both MAC &
PHY on-chip and only needs the magnetics (and USB, and CAN, and
whatever...), even nice development kits with lot of GPIO accesibles in
0.1" spaced pads, so no need to solder the LQFP :) , like this
http://es.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Texas-Instruments/EKC-LM3S9B92/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvu0Nwh4cA1wQrEqqirqo8z34F54zcDRdU%3d

I suppose that the bus can be attacked by GPIO... but if Ethernet is not
needed, I would prefer to not bother too much and have it nicely
memory-mapped as in a 7SE512 :) that also is 128-pin instead of 100, but
equally easy (or difficult) to solder. But what I would really do is to
use my embedded Blackfin processor board, with uClinux, a touch panel
and graphical display, and... well, that if I would have the time
available, and a second 5370 available :)

Regards,

Javier