[time-nuts] Info on CTS-10 WWV clock board

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 19:57:43 UTC 2011

The three ideas below assumes your software is getting the time from
the PC's clock and the WWV board is setting the PC's clock.  If the
software gets the time direct from the receiver board, then it's
lilely time for new software.   But assuming the more rational design
where all you need is a acuate time (within a millisecond) on the PC,
that's easy.

1) Now days, if you have even a half-way decent full time Internet
connection NTP can get you about as good of time accuracy as WWV,
maybe better.  And assuming you already have the Internet connection
NTP is free.  ANd for WX sat tracking milliseconds should be good
enough

2) Can you get an audio signal out of the reciever board?  If so the
standard NTP software distribution has an audio WWV decoder that does
work in 2011.  It will keep your PC and others clock sync'd to the WWV
audio signal.

3) GPS is not expensive and for most people has replaced WWV.  If you
can DIY at all you can get a very basic setup for about $50.  $200 for
a turn-key and then your PC clock can by accurate to within a handful
of microseconds

But still it would be cool to have that WWV reciever board working

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 8:17 AM, Russ Hummel <RShummel1 at cox.net> wrote:
> Hi  folks, I am new to the group and am looking to see if anyone is familiar
> with a WWV  receiver board made by Coordinated Time Link Co in Santa Clara
> CA in the middle 1990s.  It is a model CTS-10 and is  a ISA board for a PC
> that receives WWV , decodes the time signal and sets the clock on the PC. I
> have  had  this system running in my WX satellite computer since the 90's
> however the software doesn't support the year beyond 2010. I have all the
> disks and documentation but cannot locate the company on the WEB.  Has
> anyone else used this board and has any one hacked the driver software to
> over come the 2010 year limitation.  All the hardware works , it just
> doesn't display the correct year which make the satellite predications all
> wrong . Any help would be appreciated
>
> Thanks in advance
> Russ  W4PGT
>
> -
> Russ Hummel
> Have Space Suit...... Will Travel
> Retirement means Every Day is Saturday !
> []
>  This message and accompanying documents are covered by the Electronic
> Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. §§ 2510-2521, and contain information
> intended for the specified individual(s) only. This information is
> confidential. If you are not the intended recipient or an agent responsible
> for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that
> you have received this document in error and that any review, dissemination,
> copying, or the taking of any action based on the contents of this
> information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication
> in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail, and delete the original
> message.

=====
Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California