[time-nuts] Looking for info about first true radio controlled clock

Harry harryhbrown at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 24 18:50:32 UTC 2011

IRIG stands for "InterRange Instrument Group which set the standards for the Atlantic Missile range, Pacific Missile Range and White Sands. I beleive that White Sands was the generator of most of the specs. I started working at the "Cape" in 1959 working on the Atlas.

This was the days when most teleletry was analog. The inital data for a launch was printed out on multi-channel paper with the time on edge of the paper which was somewhere 18 inches wide with 8 channels of analog data. Don't nail me down on the exact data since it's been a long time.As I recall, the IRIG time codes were transferred all over the Cape to all contractors. IRIG B time code was amplitude modulated on a 1 KHz tone.

73, Harry, W3IIT (W9HQT then)