[time-nuts] PN sequence generation using GPS

Chuck Harris cfharris at erols.com
Fri Feb 25 15:31:32 UTC 2011

Hi Scott,

Speaking as a ham, I can tell you that no one will even notice that
you are there.  Frequency hop SS signals, when done correctly, only
land for a few milliseconds at seemingly random frequencies within
their band.  Because their PN sequence makes them appear random, there
aren't any identifiable rhythms to their signals that would signal their
presence... just a slight increase in background noise.  They really
aren't noticeable with the usual narrow bandwidth tuned rice boxes
that most hams use.

I have played extensively with frequency hoppers, like the PRC117, and
absent a wideband receiver, that covers their entire band, you would
never know they are there.

-Chuck Harris