[time-nuts] Problems with Garmin - maybe we should cut them alittle slack

J. Forster jfor at quik.com
Sat Jan 1 05:14:21 UTC 2011

HNY,

I disagree. The reason a high performance GPS costs 100K or more is that
the engineering cost is ammortized over a few hundred units.

Say the thing cost $10M to develop and you make 1000, that's $10,000 NRE
per unit.

However, if you have a successful commercial unit and sell 1,000,000 the
NRE is $10.

I'd doubt any of the hand held GPS units costs even $50 in million
quantities.

Ditto with the SW.

The errors I've seen are map, not position, errors.

YMMV,

-John