[time-nuts] Form factor

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Mon Jan 3 19:35:08 UTC 2011

Hammond also make aluminum boxes from extrusions.  These have parallel
walls and there are slots for mounting PCBs.  I don't think we need to
select a "standard" box.  only a "standard PCB siz.  If you pick 100mm
x 160mm that is a standard eurocard size and there are many boxes that
hold 100 x 160mm PCBs.   Making the cards a common size with standard
mounting hole locations also allows you to stack them with spacers if
you don't want to buy aluminum boxes.

On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 7:16 AM, jimlux <jimlux at earthlink.net> wrote:
> bownes wrote:
>>
>> I love those Hammond boxes until I have to pay the bill. The one for my
>> n2pk VNA was about $28.
>

> I find the non-parallel sides really inconvenient on the Hammond boxes.
>  It means you can't mount the boards to the sides of the box, just to the
> bottom or the top.
>
>  COMPAC (http://www.compac-rf.com/)  has enclosures that are a section of a
> rectangular tube aluminum extrusion with lids.  I think you could improvise
> pretty well with some other technique (i.e. buying some other kind of
> extrusion and cutting it yourself.)  Yes, the screws to hold the lids on are
> tiny and numerous, which is a pain. And I'd hate to have to do it by hand.

=====
Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California