[time-nuts] Simulating LORAN-A GRI Timing Generator

paul swed paulswedb at gmail.com
Sat Jan 8 14:33:33 UTC 2011

Loran c was complicated by the fact that there were phase reversals in the
patterns that had to be emulated it doubled the size of the code. But to
answer your question John its all done in simple readable basic language.
Think of it as a endless loop pattern. The real trick is using a good
reference. I think Magnus said 10 KC. What you do is count the 10 KC
reference. Using a Parallax SXB chip that can run all the way up to 80 Mhz.
The code runs so fast that 99.9% of the time the micro is just waiting and
counting edges.
I like to create dumb simple stupid, reliable as heck programs like that.
The Loran C sim allows the Austrons to compare to their limit of 1 e -13.
There is a bit more cleverness in the C simulator external to the program.

I thought there were different frequencies at about 1.8 Mhz.

I remember the gone-ometer (I still think thats a disease sailors can get),
green crt black box about 2 ft tall.
If you really wanted to do a location you might need 2 or 3 chips at
different GRIs and phases. But at $3.56 not a really big deal. Lastly there
must be some overall sync relationship between the chains that has to be
maintained I might guess.

Oddly enough I emailed the group several times at the ship and never
received a response.
Figured they were all set.
Regards
Paul.