[time-nuts] CS reservoir depletion

Neville Michie namichie at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 07:59:51 UTC 2011

It may not be necessary to open a tube to renew the supply of an
alkali metal.
I remember an experiment where an incandescent light bulb was dipped
into molten sodium chloride in an iron vessel.
The filament was run and a voltage between the filament and the iron
vessel caused sodium ions to migrate through the glass
into the bulb. Sodium accumulated in the bulb.
It is obviously a slow process, but then you did not need to put much
Cs in the bulb.

Why not use it to recharge an alkali metal lamp?

cheers, Neville Michie