[time-nuts] optically pumped frequency standards

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Fri Jan 14 18:34:11 UTC 2011

On 01/14/2011 07:24 PM, Bruce Griffiths wrote:
> ehydra wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> By modulating the laser diode current you can modulate the diode
>> temperature. And that changes the wavelength.
>>
>> - Henry
>>

> At 3.4GHz??
> Modulation at 3.4 GHz required by an Rb standard so that the frequency
> difference between the 2 first order sidebands is 6.8GHz.
>
> Actually all you need to do is phase modulate the output.

What they actually do is set the DC current for wavelength and AC
modulate at 3.4 GHz for locking frequency. It's obvious if just looking
into one of the papers I linked earlier.

If you look at the Symmetricom paper for the SA.3X they also describe
the overall algorithms of locking in the wavelength etc.

Will have to read up on it.

Cheers,
Magnus