[time-nuts] GC-1000 Clock Cap Choice?

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sun Jan 16 21:26:58 UTC 2011

> Also how about using Aluminum Organic Polymer caps (where there are
> replacements) instead of the plain electrolytic caps?

One problem with using low ESR caps is that some regulators depend upon the
ESR for stability.

> The plan is to replace all the electrolytic and tantalum caps since the
> ones that are now OK may fail in the near future.

Why replace the tantalums?  Do they dry out like electrolytics?

I poked around a bit and found a couple of web pages that said no-problems,
but both specifically referred to solid tantalums.  Are there versions using
a liquid?