[time-nuts] GC-1000 Clock Cap Choice?

Dr. Frank Stellmach drfrank.stellmach at freenet.de
Sun Jan 16 22:57:27 UTC 2011

>Can you clarify one thing for me: When I studied datasheets for these
>  it looked like they drop 50% of their capacitance at a DC voltage
>  of 10-20V.

>  Doesn't that make them a so-so bargain for power supply bulk capacitance ?

Poul-Henning,
Pls. check the spec for dielectric material.

X5R is automotive grade, interior applications (up to 85°C) ; X7R would be engine applications (>= 125°C).

Those ceramics don't have such high detoriation of cap vs. T and V.

For example, Y5V is commercial application range and might have such problems.

Frank