[time-nuts] Completely OT: Removing electrolytics of leaking capacitors from a pcb

Ulrich Bangert df6jb at ulrich-bangert.de
Wed Jan 19 14:02:34 UTC 2011

Gentlemen,

I know this is completely out of topic but I know there are some dedicated
material experts among you. So please allow me to put the following question
forward:

Is there any good suggestion available on how to remove electrolytic coating
resulting from leaking electrolytic capacitors from a pcb? It is not a
question of good looking, the coating seems to have a real "electrical
conducting" property which is absolutely bad on higher-impedance circuitry
as to be found on a Tektronix TDS45A scope mainboard, where the problem is
encountered. The findings so far are that the classical method with
isopropanol and a brush won't work. And the internet won't give precise
answers for that problem.

Any suggestion is highly appreciated!

Best regards

Ulrich Bangert