[time-nuts] 10MHz to 80MHz frequency multiplier suggestions

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 17:29:52 UTC 2011

Does a A/D converter really need a GPS controlled clock?

In this case where exact precision is not required you could use a
4046 phase lock loop chip.  You set the VCO for 80Mhz then divide that
by 8 and feed it back to the chip.  The chip will compare that 10Mhz
signal with the T-Bolt's 10Mhz signal and adjust the VCO so the two
stay phase locked.    TI's data sheets and app notes have more details
and examples

If you go this route, I think the 80 Mhz signal will be good enough to
clock an A/D but maybe not for use as an 80Mhz precision frequency
reference

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 7:46 AM, Elio Corbolante <eliocor at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd like to convert the 10MHz output of a Thunderbolt to 80MHz: it should be
> used as a 3.3V clock for an A/D converter.
> Even if I have already taken a look to documentation from KO4BB and Wenzel
> regarding frequency multiplier,
> I'm asking if you have some more references or even better, some schematics
> of a working 8x multiplier.
>
> .     thanks in advance
> _        Elio Corbolante.

=====