[time-nuts] 60Hz zero-crossing

WB6BNQ wb6bnq at cox.net
Sun Jul 3 22:32:26 UTC 2011

Hi Don,

After Tom referred to the app note, I went and looked it up.  While it is
functional I would, by no means, ever suggest anyone actually use that method.
It presents the possibility for personal injury and circuit failures.  Even for a
skilled veteran, all it takes is one thoughtless moment and you could have some
serious problems.

What surprises me is that ATMEL treated it so cavalierly and even allowed such a
publication.  At the very least, the schematic should have had additional
treatment to indicate the seriousness and shown some method of the resistors
being physically mounted to a power plug that was protected from being touched.
They did mention the problem but just barely.  Shame on them !

Bill....WB6BNQ