[time-nuts] NERC/TEC test

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Fri Jul 8 02:59:40 UTC 2011

I think I'm missing a key idea.

The proposal is to turn off TEC.  I think that's because it's a
pain-in-the-ass for the guys who have to run the big control loops.

Why not just reduce the time-constant on that portion of the control loop.
Instead of trying to catch up each day, how about each week?  Or month?

This reminds me of the story (from time-nuts) of how to calibrate a pocket
watch.  The recipe was roughly:

  Take watch to shop.
  Shop puts watch in stable environment.
  Shop adjusts watch to tick corectly.
  Shop gives watch to customer.
  Customer uses watch as "normal" for a week.
  Customer brings watch back to shop.
  Shop mis-adjusts watch to match customers usage patterns.