[time-nuts] Am I the only Time Nut who doesn't wear a watch?

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Mon Jul 11 07:23:56 UTC 2011

> This watch is not quartz, it is fully mechanical with a balance wheel.

What is the temperature profile of a mechanical balance wheel?  That seems
like something at least one time-nut would have good data on.

Graphs of offset vs temperature for crystals are readily available.  For the
typical watch crystal, it's a parabola pointing down with the top at roughly
body temperature.

For a typical (low cost) PC crystal, it's a squiggle: up, down, up.  The
slope of the down part depends on the angle of the crystal cut.  The specs
say (roughly) within X PPM for voltage within V and temperature with T.  The
V and T form a box.  Some engineer gets to figure out the tradeoff between
angle, accuracy, testing, mumble, ....  whatever works to get it within the
box.

> I wonder how well the human oven works in maintaining the environment of a
> watch xtal or balance wheel, assuming the watch is worn 24x7.

I don't have any good sociological data, but I've seen reports that watches
work much better if worn 24x7 rather than placed on a night stand while
sleeping.