[time-nuts] Disciplining a Rubidium with a Thunderbolt.

WB6BNQ wb6bnq at cox.net
Tue Jul 12 08:44:11 UTC 2011

Hi David,

Just to clear the AIR, all Rubidium frequency standards have a crystal oscillator as
the primary signal source within the Rubidium device.  The Rubidium portion of the
standard is just a very high Q filter whose properties can be controlled such that
it's filter's center frequency has extremely small drift.  That small drift factor is,
typically, way less then the resulting factors that control drift in a Quartz
resonator.

In order to gain the properties of the Rubidium's longer term stability and the short
term noise properties of a very good Quartz oscillator you would need both items.  You
select a very good Quartz device and phase lock it to a really good Rubidium (with its
own Quartz oscillator).  You would adjust the loop constants to correct at a very slow
pace consistent with the quality of the very good Quartz oscillator.

To get to the next level (connection to the Nation's reference), you would discipline
the Rubidium against a GPS device with an even slower loop.  So, in the end you have
two separate loops with three separate devices.  This is not your "Nickel & Dime
store" plug-and-play set up.  It would have to be set up with care and some
experimentation to get it right.

For a reference on the basic process, you should read the QST article on Brooke
Shera's GPS disciplined oscillator system.  Contained within it is a description of
the loop process I referred to above.  To utilize his method would require upgrading
his circuit design (some parts not available any longer) and some software upgrading
as well to account for those changes.

To obtain the QST article go to Shera's web site at http://www.rt66.com/~shera/
Also click on the "more information line" for further reading.

Bill....WB6BNQ