[time-nuts] Broadband synthesizer

Will Matney xformer at citynet.net
Wed Jul 13 20:21:17 UTC 2011

All,

I forgot to add this earlier today, while discussing this. When most
anything is calibrated at a cal lab, lets say you have something that is
supposed to be calibrated 10 MHz, then, they will generally set this at
9.9999999 MHz, or 1 millihertz below the stated value, and they do this
over the resolutions decimal jump on the readout, in order to get it close
enough. So, in theory, what you get could actually be 1 millihertz off.
They do this on most everything, including voltage, resistance, and current
calibrations. Of course, it's according to what the value is, as to what
the resolution is on the last digit, and to get it within the stated
tolerance. One needs to request a sheet with their measurement at the time,
and if the units is powered off, it could possibly change, minutely, when
powered back on. That's why most ovenized voltage references are shipped
under power, to and from the cal lab, and an OCXO could possibly act the
same way.

This is something one might ought to take into consideration when wanting
to check something down in the low regions of measurement.

Best,

Will