[time-nuts] Japan Quake May Have Shortened Earth Days, Moved Axis

Rob Kimberley rk at timing-consultants.com
Thu Jul 14 14:44:07 UTC 2011

Sorry, my reply was sent before your comment about speed up. Yes, in theory,
if the earth were to speed up sufficiently we would need to subtract leap
seconds. The old spinning top is unfortunately slowing down (with minor
wobbles and variations such as the recent earthquake in Japan). "Minor" in
terms of the effect on the earth, but of course not minor to those affected.

Rob