[time-nuts] The future of UTC

Will Matney xformer at citynet.net
Thu Jul 14 23:31:35 UTC 2011

If they will not observe the leap seconds as the earth times calibration,
it would become unusable in some areas of technology, and or earth time in
itself, or I would think. When the first cesium clock was being built, it
was to be calibrated, I guess one could say, by the astronomical second,
which was calculated by the US Naval Observatory at that time. In other
words, they used that astronomical second to determine the frequency of
resonance of cesium. Since the two times don't run paralell due to the
earths rotational differences, as of now, and compared to then, why would
they not want to correct it? I would think it would screw everything up
over years and years of time.

Best,

Will

On 7/15/2011 at 1:06 AM Javier Herrero wrote:

>With Bulletin C nr 42, a link to a questionnarie about it is added at
>the end (and I think that leap seconds and its convenience or not has
>been discussed lots of times in the list :)
>
> From Bulletin C 42:
>
>IMPORTANT: After years of discussions, a proposal to fundamentally
redefine
>UTC will come to a conclusive vote in January 2012 at the ITU-R in Geneva.
>
>This proposal would halt the intercalary adjustments known as leap seconds
>that maintain UTC as a form of Universal Time.
>
>The Earth Orientation Center of the IERS organizes a survey online with
the
>objective to find out the strength of opinion for maintaining or changing
>the present system.
>
>Link to the questionnaire:
>
>http://hpiers.obspm.fr/eop-pc/index.php?index=questionnaire
>
>Your response is appreciated before 30 August 2011
>

>El 15/07/2011 00:51, iovane at inwind.it escribió:
>> Unless I'm missing something, it seems to me that this matter has not
yet been discussed among time-nuts:
>> http://futureofutc.org
>> > From the above website:
>> A conclusive proposal to fundamentally redefine UTC is scheduled for a
vote by the Radiocommunications Assembly of the ITU-R in January, 2012. The
proposal will halt the contribution of so-called leap seconds to UTC after
2017, and will also terminate the requirement that time services transmit
the difference between UT1 and UTC. If approved, UTC would no longer be
useful as a type of Universal Time for most technical applications.