[time-nuts] Japan Quake May Have Shortened Earth Days, Moved Axis

Steve Rooke sar10538 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 06:19:16 UTC 2011

I just thought if we all jumped up and down on Everest we could squash
it down into the ground and speed the world back up again. In that way
we could get it back in sync with real time, I mean atomic time. Or
maybe use any of the spare NASA rocket boosters securely attached to
the earth and ignited so they speed the world up a bit.

BTW, there are lots of bicycles in China, maybe they could jump off of
them instead of chairs.

Steve

On 15 July 2011 11:29, J. Forster <jfor at quik.com> wrote:
> Why do you need them to jump at all?
>
> If you got all the Chinese to just stand on a chair, it would increase the
> Moment of Inertia of the earth a smitch, and it would slow the rotation
> because of the Conservation of Angular Momentum.
>
> -John
>
> ===============
>

>> On 7/14/2011 2:02 PM, Steve Rooke wrote:
>>>
>>> Well, if everyonel climbed Everest and we all jumped up and down
>>> together, perhaps we could achieve that :)
>>>
>>> Cheers, Steve
>>>

>> I can't resist moving this off-topic thread by a giant leap.
>>
>> I have a 1969 R. Crumb comic book starring Fritz the Cat. In one story,
>> Fritz discovers the Chinese have a rocket program. The rocket is powered
>> by the vast population blowing into tubes.
>>
>> I didn't think this was practical but it did occur to me that they could
>> have a workable WMD (although the term wasn't yet popular) if they got
>> all the Chinese to climb up on a chair and jump down at exactly the same
>> time (give or take a few milliseconds). Back in 1969 this wasn't
>> workable because there was no way to get everyone jumping in sync. We
>> all know that devices that could coordinate this event are becoming
>> common and pretty cheap. You could reduce the required number of
>> accurate clocks by gathering the jumpers into large venues like
>> auditoriums or sporting arenas. Or just broadcast a count down from
>> local radio stations with good clocks.
>>
>> Seems most of us are making our recent purchases of accurate timing
>> devices from sellers in China. Is that just a coincidence?

>> and follow the instructions there.

Steve Rooke - ZL3TUV & G8KVD
The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once.
- Einstein