[time-nuts] z3801 - holdover and recovery issue

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Fri Jul 15 21:40:20 UTC 2011

> So I can only deduce from this that the TNC male (cable end) to TNC  female
> (mushroom antenna) is intermittent.  Don't understand why but it  now looks
> like it is receiving 6 satellites and the 3801 is in  "recovery" mode.

I wouldn't be quite so sure....

My Z3801 stopped working right a while ago.  I fiddled with the antenna and
such.  Sometimes it would work well enough to confuse me, then it would fade
out again.  It finally started working correctly after I power cycled it.

It might have been a power glitch.  It might have been a software bug that just happened to get tickled by my setup which has a poor antenna location.