[time-nuts] Rb cooling

Charles P. Steinmetz charles_steinmetz at lavabit.com
Mon Jul 18 01:10:20 UTC 2011

Poul-Henning wrote:

>Cooling Rb's should happen only through the base-plate.

>For frequency stability, you should strive to have a constant
>baseplate temperature.

I mounted an FRS-C in an unvented cast aluminum box by its baseplate
(after cleaning up the mating surface in the box on a mill to get
good contact), then mounted the cast box on shock mounts in an
enclosure along with a power supply, batteries, dist amp, dividers,
monitoring, etc.  The outer box has a small, variable-speed fan that
is controlled by the temperature of the inner box in the middle of
the FRS-C baseplate contact area.  The control loop keeps that
temperature at 45C +/- about 0.1C.  It seems to work very nicely.  I
can't detect any effect from the fan's vibration.

Best regards,

Charles