[time-nuts] Rb cooling

EWKehren at aol.com EWKehren at aol.com
Mon Jul 18 01:36:45 UTC 2011

Charles sounds like what I am doing. What size fan do you use?
Bert

In a message dated 7/17/2011 9:13:42 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
charles_steinmetz at lavabit.com writes:

Poul-Henning wrote:

>Cooling Rb's should happen only  through the base-plate.

>For frequency stability, you should strive  to have a constant
>baseplate temperature.

I mounted an FRS-C in  an unvented cast aluminum box by its baseplate
(after cleaning up the  mating surface in the box on a mill to get
good contact), then mounted the  cast box on shock mounts in an
enclosure along with a power supply,  batteries, dist amp, dividers,
monitoring, etc.  The outer box has a  small, variable-speed fan that
is controlled by the temperature of the  inner box in the middle of
the FRS-C baseplate contact area.  The  control loop keeps that
temperature at 45C +/- about 0.1C.  It seems  to work very nicely.  I
can't detect any effect from the fan's  vibration.

Best  regards,

Charles