[time-nuts] Discipline an oscillator with NTP?

bg at lysator.liu.se bg at lysator.liu.se
Sat Jul 23 23:06:42 UTC 2011

Hi Don,

1PPS is useful. 10MHz is not direcly useful. You also need some kind of
timecode, telling ntpd which second the 1pps indicated.

The software side is normally ntpd configured with one of its drivers
(called refclock) for the GPS protocol your receiver has. Again the most
used is probably refclock_NMEA.
(http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/drivers/driver20.html) look if
there is anything else fitting your receivers.

   http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/refclock.html

Then wire a (preferably) serial cable with rx, tx and gnd in the usual
places, add your 1PPS on DCD (pin 1). Depending on your serial port you
could get away without levelshifting the 1pps to rs232-levels.

Last but not least, for OS select your favorite unix derivative.

--

   Björn