[time-nuts] Electronics Question

Jason Rabel jason at extremeoverclocking.com
Wed Jul 27 20:48:19 UTC 2011

This is only pseudo time-nuts related...

I'm wiring up (yet another) net4501 with a Motorola M12 GPS..

This net4501 has the RS232 driver chip there for the 2nd serial port (previous units I purchased didn't, which made life easier for
me).

Can I solder my GPS tx/rx lines on the ttl side of the RS232 chip and will it work? Or will the rs232 chip hold the voltages
low/high because there is no signal on the input sides?

This is just kind of "for future reference" question. I half wasn't sure if it would work, and half didn't care to try and solder a
wire to a TSOP lead. So I bought a Max3222 PDIP and can make a proper interface. The prototype board will also give me room for some
extra LEDs. ;)

This is kind of an experiment to see how a regular M12 compares to the M12+T for NTP purposes. I'll probably build a fresh NanoBSD
image because I need to modify a line of code in NTPns to remove a TRAIM command that makes the regular M12 PPS stop. I also want to
build the latest regular NTP distro.