[time-nuts] Oscilloquartz 8601 Rebuild Question

ed palmer ed_palmer at sasktel.net
Sat Jul 30 17:47:50 UTC 2011

I'm rebuilding an Oscilloquartz 8601 oscillator that has a smashed
Dewar.  The 8601 is basically the same as an 8600, but with a different
connector arrangement.

Since I can't replace the original Dewar, I'm trying various vacuum
flasks to see which one works best.  The differences are related to the
size (how much room for a foam plug) and material (glass vs. steel).  Am
I correct in thinking that 'best' means minimizing the current drain?
I'm thinking that minimizing the current drain means minimizing heat
loss to the external environment and therefore most stable performance.
Or should I try to match the thermal characteristics of the original
flask and plug?  I could approximate this by adjusting the thermal
characteristics to obtain the same current drain as stated in the
specifications.

Of course, if you go too far in reducing the current, the oven could
overheat.  The oscillator includes a precision thermistor to monitor the
temperature of the oven to prevent this.

Any comments?

Ed