[time-nuts] locate 6 digit digital clock

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 17:09:07 UTC 2011

We have these kinds of clocks all over our lab.   Typically they run
on IRIG.  But if you are only showing seconds the 60Hz wall frequency
is more than good enough and they sell 6 digital clocks at Wallmart.

An easy clock might be an way-old notebook PC.  Even one that uses a
486 processor or an old Apple G3 or G4 macbook.  Run NTP on the
computer and run a system clock display that fills the screen.  This
can easily run at the millisecond level or uS level with effort.
Computers like this are typically salvage from dumpsters and are
mostly free.

On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 9:09 AM, Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R
<caf at omen.com> wrote:
> If one is going to all that trouble, why not do 8
> digits - much more impressive I'd think.  One
> Atmel chip and drivers should be able to do it.
> Maybe include date and holdover and phase of the
> moon for good measure.
>
> Has anyone studied the Hampton Court Clock?
> Now there's a clock!  Would make a great screen
> wallpaper.
>
> --
> Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R     caf at omen.com   www.omen.com
> Developer of Industrial ZMODEM(Tm) for Embedded Applications
>  Omen Technology Inc      "The High Reliability Software"
> 10255 NW Old Cornelius Pass Portland OR 97231   503-614-0430

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California